Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Genealogy Do-Over Workbook by Thomas MacEntee

Here, we get an overlap of two of my passions - reading and genealogy. After two kids and two moves inside of 5 years, my genealogy research was a mess - unorganized files, database a poorly sourced mess and a general lack of direction.

Skip back to January 2015 - I read about a program being started by Thomas MacEntee of the Geneabloggers webbsite - the Genealogy Do-Over, inspired by his own genealogical struggles. At the time it was a 13 week program, with one step per week. I lurked on the Facebook group, but couldn't commit to the program for any of the sessions based on the weekly structure- not enough time in my weeks for it.  Then, near the end of 2015, he announced that he was restructuring the program to be a year long process, on step per month and that he was releasing a workbook with this new format. 

At the beginning of the year, I bought the book, and I think it was a solid investment. The monthly structure is doable, even for someone with limited time. The steps are reasonable and action items are clearly outlined, with two options - the Do-Over or a less intensive Go-Over, to get your research on track.  I'll be posting about my own progress in the Facebook group and on my genealogy blog "My Children's Ancestors"

If genealogy is in your set of interests, this is a good book to check out.  

Rating:  8/10 only because of the narrow field of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment