Reading "Slade House" by David Mitchell reminded me of the Gene Wolfe quote "Magic Realism is fantasy written by people who speak Spanish". Whether you agree or disagree with the esteemed Mr. Wolfe in the particulars of the statement, the underlying point holds true, how books (and art in general) is categorized depends on how the categorizer views the creator of the source, and that holds true here.
Slade House is an unusual little book. starting with its form factor and binding - about 2/3 the height of a standard hardback book, with a yellow binding that is reminiscent of a rebound library book, giving the sense of something old. I think that is why it caught my eye on the bookshelf at my local library - an anachronism in the sea of books in the new books section.
Back now, to my original point. "Slade House" is categorized as general fiction, largely because David Mitchell is a highly regarded literary writer. If he were an unknown, I think "Slade House" would end up in fantasy, consistent with the subject matter.
In order to avoid spoilers, I'm going to avoid a discussion of the plot details. I will say that the story is well paced, well written and highly compelling. It's also as creepy as a good Christopher Buelhmann novel with a similar strangeness that can be found in Tim Powers better works.
According to blurbs, it is connected to others of Mitchell's works. However, not having read any of his other works did not diminish my enjoyment. Easily the best book I've read in 2016 (although the year is young).
Rating: 9/10
No comments:
Post a Comment